Factors Behind Pet Obesity
The importance of keeping your pet’s weight within healthy limits cannot be overemphasized. Being aware of the factors that can increase your pet’s predisposition to piling on the pounds can help you prevent the problem. Here are important factors that can possibly be behind your pet’s weight problems:
● Breed - Some canine breeds like Rottweiler, Labrador Retriever, and Dachshunds among others, are prone to obesity.
● Age - Many overweight or obese pets are middle-aged.
● Gender - Males tend to be more prone to obesity than females.
● Spaying or Neutering - One of the effects of being spayed (females) or neutered (males) is a slower metabolism. Also, fixed pets don’t engage in behaviors fueled by sex hormones, such as mating, estrus, roaming, etc. Making adjustments in their calorie intake can prevent them from putting on excess weight.
● Food intake - Know how much calories your pet needs each day and avoid giving in excess. Treats should also be given in moderation.
● Exercise - Regular physical activity can help burn off the excess calories.
Consult your vet Jacksonville, FL about the best way to help your pet maintain a healthy weight. Click here to know more.