Toxin Exposure In Outdoor Cats

Cats that spend time outdoors regularly have high risks of being exposed to various hazards. On top of the list are toxins that may be present in rodent poisons, lawn and garden chemicals, ethylene glycol (antifreeze), snail and slug pellets, etc.

Ingestion of rat poison can cause cats to bleed internally that can eventually lead to severe anemia and even death. The antidote for rat poisoning toxicity is vitamin K. In severe cases, there may be a need for plasma or blood transfusions. Without any prompt medical intervention, internal bleeding can be fatal.

Another extremely toxic substance that is cats can be exposed to while outdoors is antifreeze. Its active ingredient is ethylene glycol. Its sweet taste is enticing to cats; they won’t have second thoughts about drinking the liquid. Unfortunately, it can cause serious kidney damage in cats which can eventually lead to kidney failure and death. Early detection and treatment can help improve the prognosis however, most cases of anti-freeze poisoning arrive at the emergency vet when it’s already well-advanced and there’s nothing that can be done

If you notice any signs of poisoning exhibited by your cat, call your vet Rochester, NY immediately. Or visit this website All Cats Care Center and schedule a visit.


Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic