Tips For Keeping Pets Safe In Hot Weather
Summer is a great time to go on outdoor adventures with your pet. However, the hot weather can increase your pet’s risk of heat stress or heat stroke. Here are some tips to keep your pet healthy and comfortable as weather temperatures rise:
● Avoid outdoor activities with your dog during the hottest parts of the day.
● Bring drinking water for you and your pet when exercising outdoors even during the early morning or late afternoon or evening.
● When the sun is up, try to keep your pet indoors. If you need to go outside for potty breaks, try to keep your pet in the shade.
● If your dog is tethered, make sure that he has access to sufficient shade all time. He should also have easy access to fresh, clean water.
● The water bowl should be refilled often with fresh cool water.
● Avoid letting your dog walk on hot surfaces such as the sidewalk, sand, asphalt, or packed dirt.
Ask your vets Burlington, ON about sunscreen protection products that are approved for use in dogs.