How To Stop Your Pet Bird From Feather Plucking
Feather plucking in pet birds can have negative consequences when it becomes an obsessive behavior and skin becomes irritated and infected. This undesirable habit can be a medical or behavioral issue. If you spot your feathered pet engaging in it, here are some tips to take to minimize the behavior.
- Stick to a daily routine. Birds are creatures of habit and sudden changes in their routine can stress them out.
- Minimize stress in your pet’s immediate environment.
- Provide adequate opportunities for physical and mental stimulation to prevent boredom. Having nothing to do can fuel undesirable behaviors that can be a challenge to address.
- Provide a complete and balanced diet to prevent specific nutritional deficiences.
- Take a closer look at your pet’s environment to make sure that ideal conditions are maintained consistently.
If you notice your pet bird feather plucking, arrange an appointment with your animal clinic Derby as soon as possible.