Benefits Of Fish Oil For Dogs And Cats
Fish oil offer a long list of benefits for dogs and cats. It helps promote healthy skin and hair coat, boost immune system function and integrity, supports kidney and heart function, and promote healthy joints.
This popular supplement contains 2 essential fatty acids (EFAs)-- EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid) and DHA (docosahexaenoic acid). These EFAs are both classified as omega-3 fatty acids. Dogs are able to synthesize limited quantities of omega-3s in their body but the it is poorly made in cats. The best sources of EFAs include salmon, black cod, anchovies, herring, and albacore tuna.
The benefits of fish oil for dogs and cats include the following:
- EPA has anti-inflammatory properties that can help alleviate symptoms of inflammatory conditions that occur in important organs of the body such as the heart, skin, and kidneys. It can also help with arthritis.
- The anti-inflammatory effects can also help with allergies, itchy skin, and dandruff. It can also potentially reduce the incidence of hotspots in pets.
- Fish oil promotes a healthy hair coat and reduces shedding. This can equate to fewer hairballs in cats.
- DHA helps promote brain and eye development in young cats and dogs. It is also an excellent supplement to pregnant or nursing pets.
- There have been studies that showed fish oil slowing down cancer growth.
Be sure to consult with your veterinarian Westminster, MD before giving any supplement to your pet.