Tips To Help Prevent Cat Dandruff
Dandruff can be very itchy and a cat could scratch himself all over until his skin is raw and broken. This can render a cat vulnerable to secondary bacterial infection. There are many possible causes of dandruff in cats such as parasites, sunburn, changes in the environment, fungal infections, seborrhea dermatitis, old age, or certain underlying medical conditions. Here are some tips that can help prevent dandruff in pet cats:
- Give your pet a regular bath every month or so to loosen the flakes from the skin and prevent drying. You can ask your veterinarian for an anti-dandruff shampoo.
- Keep your pet’s weight within healthy limits. Being overweight or obese affects their flexibility, making it difficult for them to reach certain parts of their body during grooming.
- Ensure that your cat is well-hydrated and his diet supplemented with essential fatty acids such as omega-3.
- Confine your cat indoors. This can protect him from sunburn that can lead to skin drying and flaking.
- Install a humidifier to maintain the water content of the air inside your home and keep the skin of your pet moisturized and healthy.
- Avoid sudden changes in routine that can make your pet stressed and anxious.
- Apply moisturizer on your pet’s skin. You can ask your veterinarians North Dallas, TX for a product that can be used safely on cats.