Can I Give Turmeric To My Dog?
Turmeric is known to offer several benefits for humans and dogs. Several studies have demonstrated its positive effects particularly for older pets. Turmeric ( Indian saffron) is a type of spice that gives your curry dish a yellow color. There are now veterinary-approved turmeric supplements for dogs. The active ingredient of turmeric, curcumin, possesses natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It is also beneficial to the mind and body of humans and pets. Among the health benefits provided by turmeric include:
- Reduce chronic inflammation and counteracts aging
- Reduce chronic pain in dogs
- Promotes the cardiovascular health of canines
- Aids in digestion and metabolism
- Promotes healthy brain integrity and function
- Supports healthy joints and help reduce the effects of joint problems
It is recommended that you consult with your veterinarian Westminster, MD before starting your dog on any supplement, including turmeric. For senior dogs, there are now, joint care supplements that contain glucosamine and turmeric for ease of administration.