petsguide

The Dangers of Chocolate for Your Dog

It is common knowledge that chocolate is dangerous to your dog and may even kill him. However, the reason why chocolate is especially dangerous is because it contains theobromine and caffeine. These chemicals are both poisonous to dogs. Dog react differently after eating chocolate depending on size and general health. The amount of chocolate eaten and the type of chocolate contribute to the level of toxicity. As a general rule, the more dangerous chocolate is darker and richer White chocolate contains very little theobromine and caffeine but dry cocoa powder has a very high amount. If your dog has eaten chocolate he may experience vomiting, diarrhea, extreme thirst, restlessness and excessive urination. These symptoms may not appear for up to 24 hours. Thus if your dog show signs of chocolate poisoning immediately doesn’t mean he is all right. If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate, contact your vet Bee Cave, TX for evaluation and possible treatment.

Error

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic