petsguide

Flea Collars Can Be Potential Sources of Toxins in Pets

Flea and tick collars have been embedded with certain types of chemicals, the most common of which are organophosphates. Cats are extremely sensitive to organophosphates while dogs may exhibit signs of toxicity as a result of overexposure to the chemicals. The misuse of these products or exposure to two or more insecticides at a given time is an important predisposing factor of toxicity. Organophosphates can be introduced into the body through skin absorption, inhalation, or via the digestive system. The severity of the signs of toxicity will depend to a large extent on the quantity of the chemical that the animal has been exposed to. The most common signs of organophospate toxicity include drooling, vomiting, muscle weakness, difficulty breathing, tremors, and pupil constriction. Many cases of organophosphate poisoning in pets had fatal results. If you think that your dog or cat has been overexposed to products that contain organophosphates, contact your veterinarian Mt. Airy, MD immediately.

Error

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic