petsguide

What Happens if a Dog Swallows a Penny?

It’s never a good idea to leave loose change lying around if you have small children or pets. Cats and dogs especially like to explore shiny objects and will often pick them up with their mouth to take a closer look. If your dog swallows a penny you should contact your vet and possibly animal poison control for assistance. Why? Because the penny was originally made in all copper which is not as toxic or harmful as zinc. But after 1982, the penny was made from zinc and only covered with copper for appearance. Zinc is highly toxic to dogs and can be dangerous if swallowed. Symptoms of toxic poisoning may include vomiting and diarrhea, blood in urine, yellow mucous, liver and kidney failure, anemia, etc. Call your animal hospital Bee Cave, TX right away to report a swallowed penny and follow your vet’s directions for treatment options.

Error

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic