Tips on How To Maintain Litter Box
All cats especially those that are confined indoors need a litter box. Here are some tips on how to maintain your cat’s litter box and keep it clean:
- The litter box must be situated in a quiet and accessible spot in your house. It is wise to put a litter box in strategic areas. If your house is multi-level, you can put a litter box per floor.
- Do not move the litter box unless necessary. If you need to move it to a new spot, you must do it gradually, moving at least a foot per day in the direction of the new location.
- Remove solid waste from the litter box daily. Remember cats don’t like a smelly and messy litter box.
- Once a week, dispose of all the litter box contents and wash the box using a mild detergent. Make sure it’s dry before refilling the box with new litter. If you want to do it less frequently, use clumping litters.
- When cleaning the litter box, avoid using ammonia, scents, or deodorizers like lemon.
Sudden and/or frequent litter box evasion may be caused by an underlying health issue. A visit to your animal hospital Brampton, ON can help address the problem.