Interesting Facts About Birds and Exotic Pets
There are now quite a number of people who keep birds and other exotic animals as pets. Below are several less-known facts about these animals that you might not know yet:
- A bird has to eat around half of its body weight daily in order to survive.
- Currently, the US has around 60 million birds that are kept as pets and household companions.
- An iguana can hold its breath for around half an hour.
- Hamsters usually blink only one eye at a time. This behavior keeps them alert and always on the lookout for possible predators.
- Pet ferrets number at around 8-10 million in American homes. Next to cats and dogs, ferrets have become the third most common pet in the US.
- It is possible for a goldfish to live for as long as forty years.
- Birds such as macaws and cockatoos, as well as some larger parrot species can live up to 75 years.
Your pet will benefit from regular health and wellness checks at your vet clinic Pickerington, OH. Learn more here.