petsguide

Grass Awns Can Be Harmful To Dogs

Grass awns, also known as foxtails, are produced by some types of grasses that are in the seeding stage. These sharp, barbed seed heads can stick under the skin and be scattered around by animals. They can also stick on an animal’s ears, eyes, and nose. They may at times get lodged into their vulva, penis, and behind the tonsils. 

There are cases when the foxtails penetrate the deep layers of their skin and migrate into major organs of their body like the heart and lungs. This can then result in irritation and infection around the body. If embedded into the skin, it can cause redness, swelling, and pain. You may also observe clear or bloody fluid coming out from the infected area; this can also start to develop hair loss as your pet licks the spot.

If grass awns get embedded into their foot, they may start limping. If foxtails get into their nasal passages, they may also experience violent sneezing, and at times with blood. 

Any sign of illness or health issue should be brought to the attention of your veterinarian care Scottsdale, AZ.

Error

Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

default userpic